Tuesday, December 22, 2009

When peace just isn't enough

We finally got around to breaking out the Christmas decorations yesterday. They've been sitting in boxes next to the tree since the day after Thanksgiving. As I hung the stockings I was reminded of just how blessed our family is.

You see, the Christmas after we had Madelyn we bought 'family' stockings. I caught an after-Christmas sale and bought the stocking hangers. I remember debating whether to buy NOEL or PEACE. I decided on PEACE because we could hang the stockings symmetrically and I still wished, hoped and prayed that we would someday have at least one more child.

We had one more year of symmetry and then Catherine and Chloe were born and our PEACE was full. For three years we hung five stockings on five hooks. The next Christmas (2007) we added two more stockings. PEACE was now exclusively for the kids. Mom & Dad got demoted to the hooks on the fireplace tool holder. Last year, I decided to add characters to either end of PEACE so that we would all have a spot once again. And then Harrison came along. Once again, we are shuffling stockings, buddying up, and celebrating the miracle of our newest baby and the baby whose birth we always rejoice in this time of year, Jesus.

What's next for this classic holiday tradition? We're thinking about adding 'ON EARTH' to the PEACE. We'd only have four slots leftover. Now, how to fill them...hmmm.

In other holiday news, Madelyn and Chloe worked diligently to make ornaments yesterday. They look great. I'll post pictures of the tree after the painted ornaments dry and are hung.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This makes me laugh! The December we had our miscarriage was also our "bronze" anniversary. I asked for personalized stocking holders. The guys got stars and the girls got angels...5 in total. These worked for two years.

We then added two more children, and just now this year I found NOEL and JOY on sale, so I bought them and now everyone has a hanger.

I told the original three kids they can take their personalized hangers with them when they grow up.

And, we also have the Lands End stockings.