Friday, January 23, 2009

Where were you?

I was volunteering at Madelyn's school on Tuesday when the swearing in of Barack Obama occurred. I assumed I'd miss the live version. Instead, I was privileged to watch the ceremony with sixty children and their teachers. As President Obama was called to take the oath of office I had goosebumps. As we sat in silence, listening, witnessing history, I couldn't help but think what this President, this one man, means to our children. These children who so naturally say his name, without pause or prejudice. These children who look at President Obama as just another grown-up or Daddy, not as the first African American president or as a Democrat or liberal. Their generation will indeed grow up in a world where there are fewer boundaries on their aspirations and dreams. I can't remember a time when I've felt so excited, so hopeful and so protective of a President.

This morning Chloe and I were watching the news after Mark left for work. An image of our new President flashed on the screen and Chloe said, "That's Barack Obama!" This mother could not be more proud that her four-year-old daughter recognizes President Obama but wouldn't know Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers if they knocked on the door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I am not the only mom who is glad her child doesn't know who Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers are. Lydia is obviously aware of them because of her friends at school, but is in no way infatuated.

I never thought to be proud that my kids can identify our president but not popular icons - I just thought it was because I am a news junkie. :) Thanks for putting it this way.