Saturday, March 6, 2010

Buyer Beware: Not a Family Game

I bought Mark Super Mario Brothers for our Wii this Christmas. It has introduced new vocabulary and tons of new emotions into our once happy home.

Our policy has been to only buy Wii games that are either educational or encourage physical activity or can be played as a family. For this reason and because we like to exercise self-control in our gaming time, we only own nine games after two and a half years of ownership.

I bought Super Mario Brothers thinking it would bring back fond memories of our early years together when Mark and I would duel on our Game Boys. I bought it because I thought it would be a family bonding experience like Super Mario Galaxy. Mark would play and we would coach and cheer him on. I bought it with good intentions.

Unfortunately, this game is incredibly addictive and frustrating in its repetition and rewards. Mastery takes time, especially if you play with more than one player and even more so if those other players are five and under. Through playing our children have discovered a virtual way to jostle and shove each other. They tumble off cliffs and float in bubbles.

I don't play with them. I don't want to be part of that therapy session destined for some distant date. Rather, I watch and cheer and coach when I just can't help myself. Each of the other members of the family has their own gaming personality. Mark is the leader. He is intense and competitive. He gets frustrated easily with himself and others. Tears are shed on account of him as often as high-fives are exchanged. Madelyn models herself after Dad. She is our most capable player of the kids and always starts off encouraging and sweet. Of course, that deteriorates as game play continues and frustration sets in. Catherine bounds around the living room like a kangaroo attempting to simulate the movement on the game. She shakes her hands even when she's not playing. She is bold and reckless in her play. Chloe doesn't like being on the front line of game play so she serves as the 'life saver'. She stays just behind everyone else and waits for them to need her to either save them or finish up. Sam holds his buttons and is a good teammate to Mark. I'm not sure how that works considering Sam only knows how to bubble but it works and for that I am grateful. My only concern is the addition of "me dead!" to his vocabulary when referring to his Wii character. Seth will either watch engrossed or play nearby with other toys. He will occasionally ask to play but is easily redirected.

To date, we've survived the first eight worlds, defeated the BIG Bowser and rescued the princess. Of course, that wasn't enough. Now they have to redo the entire thing collecting all of the star coins. I'll go set the timer!

2 comments:

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

so funny!!! and yet entirely frustrating-I feel your pain. I have yet to play the game more than once since ownership in December!

Autumn said...

I just about wet my pants from laughing so hard! I made Brian come over and read this post....it was like reading about ourselves (except insert Thomas for Mark). At least Seth and Sam might know what Connor is talking about when he tells them "I died, my dad died, my mom died"! And Connor will feel their pain when he hears them say "me dead". Too funny. Let's get together soon!!!