Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Survivor -- Family Style

I got an email not long ago that suggested the reality show Survivor should take a group of dads along with their youngsters to some isolated destination for a week or two of what I would call perspective. The description of the challenges, etc. were very funny.

And it got me thinking. My life parallels the Survivor themes.

My first challenge each day is to OUTWIT these three. That's becoming increasingly difficult as each works to define themselves: their interests, their personalities, their relationship with others.
Then I have to OUTLAST these two. That became clear with potty training. They are finally potty trained (and have been for a couple months) but it was a test of endurance. We conveniently ran out of diapers one day and Mark had to wait the entire day for Sam to break and actually use the potty. Since then he's been 95% dry. Daily we face the challenges of three-year-olds attempting to learn independence but finding frustration easier to express. Finally, we have to OUTPLAY this little guy. He's walking now and has been for a couple weeks. He's everywhere and into everything and I mean that in a way I've never meant it before. He's cute as a button but he's that kid who likes to play with electricity and splash in toilets and climb and stick things in his mouth.
I rise each day ready to take on the next challenge with a smile on my face because the rewards are so vast. Watching my children grow, play, love and learn makes it all worthwhile and then some.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Well, you win sole survivor in my book...Share it with Mark!