Friday, August 7, 2009

Ready or not

I'm not...well maybe a little...it was my idea I guess.
Yesterday we set up a big boy bed in the boys' room. It was meant to serve as an introduction, a place to take naps, read and cuddle. Then, in a month or so when I was ready to acknowledge that my sons are no longer the tiny bundles I brought home from the hospital two years ago, we would let them sleep in the beds regularly. We might even ENCOURAGE them at that point because our new baby would be almost here.
They had other plans and in the blink of an eye, alright, maybe in the span of an afternoon, my baby boys became big boys. These moments when I actually SEE my children grow up are hard. I know I should celebrate and tomorrow I will, but for now I feel quiet. I'm trying to capture the moment, to remember the days that have gone by, to rejoice in the milestone, to allow more space between us.
Sam took the plunge first. He took a nap and slept last night in the bed. Today we are going to take down the cribs and set up Seth's big boy bed. He's excited! I am too...sniff, sniff.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So glad he slept in the bed so well for you! #4 has been our most difficult one staying in a bed. All cured, now, but a painful few months.

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

While I know it is hard and so bittersweet, I am glad they took to it so well. Better than the alternative of you BEGGING them to get out of the crib for their baby brother!