Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

The Easter Bunny came hopping up our trail early this year. Mark had to fly out last night for a business trip. Training never ceases for his company, even on Easter.

So, I have a confession to make. I have NEVER done Easter baskets for my kids or anyone else's for that matter. I thought about it when Madelyn was small but it seemed like too much candy. It's about this time of year that I hit candy burnout as it's been invading my home at a fairly steady pace since Halloween. I also feel like the whole man-size bunny delivering eggs image kinds of dilutes the real reason Christians celebrate Easter, even more so than Santa does at Christmas.

But last year we went to an Easter egg hunt with our D-L cousins and, well, my kids had fun. Aunt Heather put together baskets for them and they delighted in them. And who am I but an advocate for my children's happiness and well-balanced life. So, I've chalked Easter up as just something we Americans do, a cultural tradion of sorts.

Ta-dah! My first attempt at Easter baskets!
The kids were pretty excited.
We dyed Easter eggs. I bought an ambitious kit complete with glitter, sand and sequins. We stuck with the stickers. The rest will have to wait a year. My Easter spirit was waning a little at this point.
Then we did an Easter egg hunt. It is so nice having such a big backyard to do a hunt in. It was also nice to be able to take our time and not worry about pushy parents encouraging their kids to trample mine in order to pick up a ten cent egg filled with penny candy. Sorry, bad memories of competitive Easter egg hunts from our Texas days.

Harrison thought all the festivities were pretty great! He especially liked watching his sisters and brothers find Easter eggs in the yard.
Happy Easter to you and yours!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah - we're not big into the Easter Bunny but we still make baskets for the boys - but more from us (and the grandparents, usually) for some fun on Easter morning. I try to go easy on candy and do more fun things - this year it was stickers, markers, sunglasses, and new swim trunks, as well as the new Toy Story 2 DVD. =) I think we always got toothbrushes from the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus - something I meant to do, but forgot to grab this year! Your baskets look great!

Autumn said...

I think you did pretty darn well for your first baskets! I didn't do candy in the eggs this year either...we switched to nickles and dimes! Is that worse??? Ha!