Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thinking about food

I've been thinking A LOT about food lately.

No, I'm not pregnant.

I've been thinking about where our food comes from. I've been thinking about what is in our food. I've been thinking about what our family of eight can do to eat more naturally, more locally, more healthily while still saving money for our energy star kitchen remodel.

In honor of Earth Day, I would like to publicly declare my intentions and course of action. Our family pledges to:
1. Start composting
2. Grow and eat as much food as possible from our garden
3. Map where our food comes from for at least one month
4. Call at least one local company and inquire what the distribution route is (For example, there is a General Mills plant not too far from here. Does the cereal they make go directly to the grocery stores here or does it get shipped to a distribution plant in Texas only to get shipped back here by Walmart?)

Let's make every day Earth Day!

2 comments:

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

OK, sounds like a good plan...but if you start whipping out non identifiable food for snacks, I might get a little weird on ya! Just teasing you.....I'll bring the snacks...hahaha!

Unknown said...

Have you composted before? I want to start as well, just need to figure it out first (processes, equipment, etc).

Keep us informed/posted!