Monday, April 5, 2010

What's for Dinner?

Madelyn loves raviolis. She gets them whenever we go to a restaurant that has them on the kid's menu (which is not very often). She'll eat them frozen or from a can. She'll take them any way she can get them.

So, when she got the recipe for homemade raviolis from Grandma Jo she was pretty excited to get in the kitchen and get to work. I, on the other hand, asked for time because I could tell from the recipe that making raviolis from scratch without a pasta machine was going to be rather time consuming. Madelyn had resigned herself to asking me regularly, like daily, when we were going to make them. I'd supply her with some time constraint....ok, excuse...for why not today.

With Dad out of town, the calendar was clear for Easter dinner. No pressure to make a ham. We got to work at 4 p.m. yesterday. We made the filling and put it in the fridge. We made the sauce and set it to simmer. Then we got super messy making the dough, rolling the strips and stuffing the raviolis. At 6:30 p.m. the last of the raviolis came out of the pot.
Madelyn loved them.

I loved seeing my girls work as a team to get this job done. Catherine entertained the twin boys while Chloe worked at keeping Harrison happy so that Madelyn and I could tackle dinner. I'm so proud of my growing girls!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks like a ton of work--good job, Madelyn!

and I'm with you--Heather--on the Easter Bunny. Not a fan. We don't even really talk about him, the entire idea of him seems so ludicrous. I fear that if I "expose" him then my children will give no credence to other fictionalized characters that I feel are part and parcel with the requirements of a fun childhood.

bad explanation. sorry

Unknown said...

Those look delicious! Send me the recipe if you get a chance! (I know - few and far between... but if you're ever thinking of it...)

Or send Maddy on over and we'll make them here. It sounds like fun, albeit time-consuming! =)

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

good thing you don't have 4 boys that are older...they'd have already eaten the goods despite not being fully cooked yet. You have SOOOOOOO much more patience than me....did I mention SOOOO?