Saturday, February 7, 2009

The trouble with engineers

This past week, as I was driving Madelyn to school, I heard alarming news on the radio. They reported that a study done in the UK revealed that children who eat processed meat, especially ham and bacon, are 74% more likely to get childhood leukemia. This is alarming because Madelyn and Chloe love ham. Our children eat more hot dogs than I care to acknowledge as well. This Chicken Little mom came home convinced that we should be worried and purge our home of ham, hot dogs and anything they've touched in our refrigerator.

After reporting my news to my reasonable, mathematically-oriented engineer of a husband, we had an exchange that went something like this:
Me(with wide-eyed fear): Did you know that children who eat ham and bacon are 74% more likely to be diagnosed with leukemia?
Mark: That's less than doubling the risk. Besides, how many children are diagnosed with leukemia in the U.S. each year?
Me: I don't know.
Mark: I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.
Me: I'm sure the parents of those children don't think that.

So, I've done my research. It turns out that indeed less than 1% of the population under age 20 is diagnosed with leukemia each year in the United States. Those who are face a survival rate of greater than 66% depending on the type of leukemia.

The problem with our media is that it has become far too emotional. I have authority to criticize as I spent four years learning to be part of them. I have a pretty paper hanging on my wall documenting this. Anyway, the media doesn't just ask for your attention with worthy headlines of worthy news. They'd rather tell part of the story, the worst part generally, and leave the consumer terrified and judgmental. So while the media may not be fair and impartial, my husband and I will continue to balance each other out as parents and partners...me giving him empathy, him giving me perspective.

2 comments:

DaddyO6 said...

In defense of the engineer, this well-intended publication is still perpetuating misleading statistics. Actual incidence of childhood leukemia for ages 0-19 is .07%. This is a factor of 100 less than stated. This father happens to be proud that at least 2 of his children share his love of ham & smoked meats!

It should be noted that this particular engineer is fostering a growing sense of empathy thanks to his loving wife. But the inescapable truth remains: the first response is all about the numbers & risk analysis.

Anonymous said...

I tend to get very alarmed very easily. Nate does a great job of balancing me out too. I tell him that 99% of what you worry about never happens, which is why I worry, it gives me extra protection. :)