Monday, July 6, 2009

MJ Tribute

It seems only fitting that today as thousands flock to L.A. to remember the 'king of pop' that I might also pay my last respects. Michael Jackson's death a week and a half ago came as a surprise. I was able to watch a little bit (like a half-hour) of the media coverage on his life and legacy. What a unimaginable life. He had a musical gift. That can not be denied. His artistic creativity, as exhibited in his videos, knew no bounds. He was a cultural icon, deemed a 'musical messiah'. That's a lot of pressure! Perhaps more than any human is meant to assume.

I grew up with MJ's 'Thriller' album. I remember going to the roller rink on Friday night when I was in middle school and enjoying a half-time screening of the Thriller video. At Madelyn's school in Utah, the fourth graders performed to Thriller last spring refreshing some of my own memories of Michael Jackson. The other lasting impression Jackson had on me was his "Black or White" video. I loved the morphing faces. It made such a powerful statement about diversity to me.

Our children don't know Michael Jackson. Madelyn's only observation (other than being annoyed that I was watching TV instead of preparing for her party) during the bit of television we watched about him that "he's not very good with babies". That insight came after watching him dangle his infant son over the balcony in Europe. Kids sure know how to humble you and remind you of what's important.

No comments: