Sunday, July 26, 2009

You can't judge a class by its title

Yesterday the girls finished the summer music program they've been part of for the last 8 weeks. Catherine and Chloe learned new songs and dances. Primarily, they got to have fun with kids their age.

Madelyn was enrolled in a pre-piano skills class. Going into the summer, Mark and I thought she would learn the musical alphabet and do some drill and kill on the keyboard. Well, her teacher had other plans. Not only did Madelyn learn the musical alphabet, along with other important musical terms, she also composed and performed her own song. There were times in the semester when I thought she wasn't being pushed hard enough and times when I thought she was being pushed too hard. I was thankful Mark could help her through the half-notes and bridges. Yesterday, as I sat and listened to Madelyn and her classmates perform their pieces I saw that these kids were motivated and empowered by this process. They see themselves as musicians! Madelyn even came home yesterday and started a new song.

So, once again I've gotten a dose of my own medicine. I used to ask parents to trust me with their children's eduction. I used to talk to them about instructional strategies I was using. They would either cheer me on, remain quiet or protest that it wasn't how it used to be. Now, I'm the one who passed judgement too soon. I am thankful for Madelyn's experience in this class and look forward to what next semester brings.

Here's the second half of "Beautiful Mountain," composed and performed by our Madelyn:

No comments: