Thursday, July 23, 2009

Squash boats

When it became clear that we had more squash than appetite for squash, Mark told me how his Grandma Lowe used to make squash boats for him to play with when he was a child. I thought that was a mighty clever idea! So, yesterday in the midst of slicing, dicing, blanching and chilling 23 squash and grating 10 zucchini for freezer storage I decided we'd make squash boats at bathtime. I set aside the five biggest squash, ones I knew would be full of seeds.

When bathtime rolled around all five kids were super excited for their boats. Seth didn't like his in the water though. I guess vegetables and bath don't mix for him. The girls used theirs as a hair wetting and rinsing vessel. What simple fun and what a great way to keep Grandma in our home and hearts even when she lives so far away.

1 comment:

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

Cute! The boys keep asking.....I'll get to de-seeding one of these days. At least I know where I can find some more!