Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Teach persistence, learn patience

Yesterday was Tuesday again...Crafty Kid Day! The girls were all geared up for their project. After quiet time I got down the boxes for latch hook. I remember doing latch hook as a kid. I remember one in particular, I think it was Snoopy. What I really remember was that the background was green.

We charged into the kits. Catherine and Chloe's kits are for beginners. The rug is a plastic grid and the hook is smaller for easier manipulation, that is, if you have highly developed fine motor skills. Chloe was first up for Mommy help. As soon as she saw me do the first piece of yarn, she declared she couldn't do it. It seemed so easy in my memory. Not so much when you're four. Chloe decided she could help most by managing the bundle of yarn pieces. And so she did!Next up for Mommy help was Madelyn. Madelyn's box says 'Easy, Fun, Quick'. Of course that presupposes you've had experience with latch hook. We tried one way, then another, then another yet. I kept trying to simplify the steps, make the motions easier but that little latch kept getting in the way when Madelyn tried. She was frustrated. Tears were shed.

Parenting is such a delicate balance. It's so hard to know when to let them stop because the frustration is too great or when to push them that extra step so that they can acquire a new skill. After much mental debate, I pushed. I knew she could do it. It just takes practice to get the maneuver right. Indeed, I made the right call...this time.Now we need to work on time management so that she can actually finish her project someday. The good news is she's motivated and I'm hoping that her enthusiasm will help her sisters pick it up on the next exposure or maybe the one after that. Here she is already teaching it back to me.Finally, it was Catherine's turn. She was convinced she could do it and got her hook stuck several times trying to prove it. She resigned herself to yarn helper but only until I completed a row, then she wanted a crack at it again. I love her persistence.
And I got yet another lesson in patience. It's funny how those things I used to pride myself on having in abundance when working with other people's children are often the one's my children challenge most.

1 comment:

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

More patience than me my dear friend....more patience than me. I remember latch hook too! I had a huge one hanging above my bed that my mom made and I still ahve it. Ithink it's in our closet somewhere!!