Thursday, October 7, 2010

And then they were 6!

Yesterday went something like this: bake, cool, ice, bake, cool, bake, cool, ice, bake, cool, bake, cool, ice. Yes, it was the day of desserts. It was meant to be this Martha Stewart-inspired day of butterflies to celebrate my little butterflies as they've transitioned from their preschool days to school-time fun.

It came to a screeching halt when the cupcakes I had wrapped the night before to keep from drying out stayed so moist I couldn't get the icing to stick without tearing up the top of the cupcake. So Plan A of icing and decorating the cupcakes in the wee hours of the morning changed to Plan B which was to ice and decorate while the girls took their Mandarin lesson and Harrison toddled around babbling and distracting everyone. They came out alright, not as well as Martha's, but they were cute and the girls were happy.
Then came time for the main cakes....more butterflies. I used this pan when Madelyn turned 1. It's only been used once since I think. Anyway, the cakes stuck like crazy. It was a mess. I was able to glue the yellow cake together with icing but chocolate cakes are just too messy to try to fake. The icing gets all speckled. So, I decided I'd leave the edges as is and serve the leftover frosting on the side. And guess what, the girls were happy!
They were made even happier by the iPods in their gift bags.

And making wishes is fun too!


Now they are officially 6!
We have 6 more days until our next family birthday! I hope I can remember the lesson of yesterday. The love is shown in the process, not the product.

No comments: